[Cialug] Automatic container updates

Will staticphantom at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 23:24:16 UTC 2022

I've been getting DEEP into this topic lately as well as following some
acquintencies with Chainguard on the SLSA and SBOM specs. Basically,
according to some of the latest Chainguard white papers, you want to build
on demand and directly from the repository.

I have some basic proofs of concept but ideally, if you're pulling from
Docker hub, you're doing it wrong. If you're pulling a tarball, you're
likely doing it wrong. With that said, much of what is used for practices
certified for Iron Bank ARE doing it wrong (great from a starting
perspective) but much less wrong. Iron Bank certified images must build
every 4 hours to meet requirements.