[Cialug] Server Distros

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Sat Mar 27 23:43:24 UTC 2021

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 8:56 AM Dave Hala <dave at 58ghz.net> wrote:

> Maybe the core issue is product life cycle and not the distro life cycle.
> For me the challenge is that when using a lamp stack all those different
> pieces have to play nice together, and they tend to be bundled with the
> distro.
>
> Yes, I could run my app with docker and make it "portable".... but what if
> I want to run a newer version of apache and php?   At that point the
> product live cycle comes into play.  If the product life cycle is less than
> the distro life cycle, then it's not an issue.

That's easy to do with containers - you just build the container with
whatever version of Apache and PHP you want. Compile Apache and PHP from
source even. You're not really tied to the version of Apache or PHP that
comes with the distro that the container is based upon.

And with container layering it's very easy for a company to set up a base
container with Apache X and PHP Y and then layer different applications on
top of that. Then when you're ready for PHP Y+1 you rebuild the base layer
and then rebase your app containers on top of the new base.

--
Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.