[Cialug] Server Distros

Theron Conrey theron at conrey.org
Fri Mar 26 18:29:56 UTC 2021

Being a former redhatter, and working at a company with arguably one of the
largest linux (centos) deployments in the world, it's always curious to
hear where people have opinions shaped. I was asking because the centos
announcement caused some serious internal conversations but no
noticeable thoughts of "this is now no longer production ready", and given
the fact that it's basically moving to a model that looks a lot like
OpenSUSE today, the pushback from the broader community still causes me to
scratch my head.

I'm not sure why folks think that somehow Redhat "needs" to provide a
binary compatible distro of RHEL in order to somehow stay relevant, but
you're right, there are always viable alternatives! It's just strange to
me, and I totally am super curious about where it comes from, that folks
somehow ditch CentOS simply due to it now feeding into RHEL like fedora vs.
being a downstream zero cost clone of their flagship product.

I can name at least two major network switching vendors that base their
products on Fedora, and I've always liked having the upstream flexibility
of RHEL, so when I hear it's "not stable" I always wonder what that means
to the speaker.

Ubuntu is dope. If you moved everything over and it works for you, awesome!
I just think making the decision based on an idea that RH is somehow
destroying CentOS vs. simply adjusting it to better align with software
development and it's business model to be a bit hyperbolic. I get it. The
change was NOT messaged great. I was on the outside looking in when it was
announced and I was scratching my head too lol, but I think it's healthy
overall for the needed evolution of RHEL in a container/continuous
deployment world.

anywho, thanks for your thoughts!

-theron