[Cialug] Server Distros

Dave Hala dave at 58ghz.net
Fri Mar 26 18:13:20 UTC 2021

Nothing against Centos 7.   I choose rhel8, because I was doing some new
projects and it made sense to me to start out on the latest version.  I
had assumed there would be centos 8... and there was... for a while.

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 1:02 PM Kyle H <khamil8686 at gmail.com> wrote:

> it is no longer stable, it’s between dev and experimental or something...
> not sure if i got the branches right off top of my head but essentially
> that, and the fact ubuntu is gaining steam, i think rhel will have to
> reverse its decision on changing centos and destroying it. just installed
> ubuntu server 20.04 and getting rid of the old centos server. :p
>
> have a good day
> kyle
>
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 12:56 PM Theron Conrey <theron at conrey.org> wrote:
>
> > As a former redhatter, I'm genuinely curious what makes you say that
> CentOS
> > won't be an option anymore? I'd love to understand your thoughts here! If
> > it's not something you want to talk about on the lug chat, you can email
> me
> > directly.
> >
> > To your question though, I'm using a mix of fedora and centos for
> personal
> > server workloads.
> >
> > -theron
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 11:39 AM Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > What are y'all using for server distros these days? I've been thinking
> > > about what to go with for the future, since my old default answer,
> > CentOS,
> > > won't be an option anymore.
> > >
> > > Maybe a CentOS replacement. Maybe jump to Ubuntu or Debian. Any
> thoughts
> > on
> > > Ubuntu Server vs Debian? I don't know anything about that side of the
> > > Linuxverse.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Todd

NIFCAP  -The Premier Client Intake System for Non-Profit Organizations.
https://www.osis.us