[Cialug] Jitsi Meet Failure

Hakan E. Duran ehakanduran at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 19:39:59 UTC 2020

Hi Jeff,

On 20/04/21 02:18PM, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> Well, I have to say in the end I'm disappointed by Jitsi Meet...

I am sorry to hear this. I do get it though sometimes you need something
that just works.

> That combined with the fact that you need a fairly fat VPS with plenty of
> memory (on Digital Ocean I was using a $40/month droplet) I decided that it
> wasn't worth it. I also don't have enough upload bandwidth to really
> consider running this at home.
>
> If this was for a business I might consider trying this again, or if the
> LUG wants to front the cash for a VPS I'd assist with the setup. But for
> personal use I think that this is a non-starter.

I set it up in my home server in a docker container that I launch only
about 15 minutes before the scheduled meeting with my friends in
Minnesota and Europe along with forwarding the ports, etc. If LUG is
interested in a trial run and doesn't mind giving my setup a chance, we
all can test it without any charge. I did not set up the
streaming/recording module though (I forgot what it was called), but it
shouldn't be too hard to do based on my humble experience with the rest
of the modules. Let me know.

Thanks,

Hakan Duran