[Cialug] Jitsi Meet Failure

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Apr 21 19:18:54 UTC 2020

Well, I have to say in the end I'm disappointed by Jitsi Meet. It seemed
fairly easy to get set up but once I tried it "for real" with my parents it
was a complete failure. On both my Mom's MacBook and my Dad's iMac their
browser would crash when trying to enter the conference. I'm sure that it's
PEBCAK somewhere in the system (even possibly mine, maybe there's some
setting that I need to tweak) but when we tried Google Meet it "Just
Worked(TM)". My folks aren't super tech savvy (they had a hard time
understanding what I was asking them to do when I asked if they had another
browser that they could try like Firefox or Safari). They also live 3 hours
away so even under normal circumstances an in-person visit isn't something
I can do at the moment.

That combined with the fact that you need a fairly fat VPS with plenty of
memory (on Digital Ocean I was using a $40/month droplet) I decided that it
wasn't worth it. I also don't have enough upload bandwidth to really
consider running this at home.

If this was for a business I might consider trying this again, or if the
LUG wants to front the cash for a VPS I'd assist with the setup. But for
personal use I think that this is a non-starter.

--
Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.