[Cialug] [tclug-list] Project Trident

Brian Wood woodbrian77 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 18:59:08 UTC 2019

Dear Iowa,

Twin Cities users so far haven't been able to help me
with the following.  I've done a little more research on
one of the problems I mention below and think what I
guessed about there being a development package
that I need to install is probably right.   But I still don't
know what the name of it is.  My biggest problem is
not getting anything from pkg search.  Thanks a lot.

harv writes:
> I remember you having an interest in TrueOS-legacy but don't know if
> you've been following development at all so here's a heads up.
> Project Trident has released their first stable version.
>
> http://www.project-trident.org/post/2019-01-15_18.12-release_available/
>
> What is Project Trident
> Project Trident is a desktop-focused operating system based on TrueOS.
> It uses the Lumina desktop as well as a number of self-developed
> utilities to provide an easy-to-use system that both BSD beginners and
> advanced system administrators can feel comfortable running 24?7.
>
> http://project-trident.org/
>
> What is TrueOS
> TrueOS is based on the legendary security and stability of FreeBSD.
> TrueOS follows FreeBSD-CURRENT, with the latest drivers, security
> updates, and packages available.
> TrueOS is a downstream fork of FreeBSD
>
> https://trueos.org/more-on-trueos/
>
> TrueOS-legacy= the desktop oriented TrueOS before they went
> server/coreos only.
>
> disclaimer: Though I used TrueOS-legacy and and helped with beta
> testing Project Trident I no longer use either.
>
> harv
>
> Thanks, harv .   I installed Trident now.  I'm not able to do much with
pkg search

like I usually can when using TrueOS or FreeBSD.   I got vim, emacs and gcc
installed, but not clang.   It doesn't find clang in the repositories when
I type: pkg install clang.
When I try to build with gcc, I get:
fatal error: string.h: No such file or directory.

Maybe there's a development package I need to install, but I'm not
sure what the name of it is.  There are some things I like about Trident,
so I hope I can figure out how to solve these problems.   Thanks for
letting me know about this.

Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises - In G-d we trust.
https://github.com/Ebenezer-group/onwards