[Cialug] Cloud Providers

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Fri Feb 10 13:11:16 CST 2017

Yeah, the main reason I never even tried to learn how to use AWS was because I could never find a way to get what I was getting from Linode or Digitalocean for almost twice the price.  These prices bring almost the same features** for the same price as my Linode.  Digitalocean still undercuts both Linode and Lightsail, but they also make it a point that they focus on development boxen, not production features (like high availability, etc).***

These prices might eventually resurrect my interest in trying to learn how to use AWS's features.

Thanks!
-- Matt (N0BOX)

** For instance, both Linode and AWS Lightsail offer a 2GB RAM VPS for $20/mo, though Linode's offering has two cores compared to AWS Lightsail's single core.  All other advertised specs are exactly the same.

*** They do mention that their service is capable of supporting production machines as long as the customer is willing to handle HA and other production features on their own.  I've talked to a good number of people on IRC who do just that and are able to save money vs other services.

Sent from my android device.