[Cialug] Cloud Providers

tony welder tony.wvoip at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 13:12:53 CST 2017

Howdy Lammert,

While I don't exactly know what your client's needs are, here's a few
things to consider about AWS.

The bad:
AWS is not simple, it's just about as complicated as it gets as far as
cloud orchestration providers go.
AWS is expensive compared to other more traditional solutions, especially
if this mid-level e-commerce site doesn't have absurd expectations.  Also,
if you're already paying for physical infrastructure and don't plan on
getting rid of it.  A physical server would be a good option in this case.

The good:
If your customer wants a dev->test->prod, AWS has tools for code
repository("codecommit") and code deployment ("codedeploy")
One can easily configure auto-scaling with cloudwatch based on the core
four.
If the E-commerce website needs to life cycle data out to tape.  This can
be done automatically through S3 and glacier.
If one needs a hot site, Amazon has got you covered.
If you want insanely fast turnaround on DR, this can be done
through cloudformation and S3.

If you're going the route of an MSP and they're paying you for the
servers... then you can do something really sexy with consolidated
billing.  Let's say some of your customers want some on demand instances
(not always on boxes).  You can pay for one reserved instance (not turned
on) inside of your consolidated billing account.  Then when your customers
turn on those instances and pay you, you pocket the 33 percent difference
assuming collectively across all of your customers, there's 100 percent up
time of a particular instance type.  Kinda complicated but super sexy if
you're in the MSP world.

Cheers,
Tony

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 7:48 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> Need a new server for a mid-level e-commerce, .. my initial thought was to
> go to a bare metal provider (thanks for the good recommendations from
> folks here!).
>
> After working with Google Computer for a while, however, there are some
> capabilities there that would not be available on a bare metal box:
>
>  * Snapshot capability (i.e. snapshot a volume and attach to another
>    instance for troubleshooting or development);
>
>  * Spool up a dev machine when needed, leave dark when not needed to save
>    budget;
>
>  * Additional resource a click away (e.g. 2 cores -> 4 cores, more disk
>    space, more memory), and ability to release resources when not needed.
>
> Google Compute, of course, also has some frustrating features - any
> recommendations for a better provider, vis-a-vie functionality or cost?
>
>         Thanks!

~tony