[Cialug] Ubuntu server name resolution!

Sean Flattery sean.r.flattery at gmail.com
Tue May 17 18:38:26 CDT 2016

Hi Tom,

I've had luck editing the /etc/network/interfaces file when setting static
IPs with DNS.  You can enter the same nameserver info in that file you've
been trying with /etc/resolv.conf and that info will get pushed into the
resolv.conf file for you.  This will let you keep the changes after a
reboot.  Once DNS is working, you'll be able to apt-get update like normal.

For the drive space issue, There's a great Mirrored Raid mailing list
discussion that probably has your answers in a way better way than I could
explain it.  Check out the Archives here
http://cialug.org/pipermail/cialug/2016-April/subject.html and see the
Mirrored Raid items.  Depending on your file server setup, Zach's writeup
could be exactly what you need
http://cialug.org/pipermail/cialug/2016-April/026064.html. Another possible
solution is Clonezilla which makes cloning disks easy.  After cloning a
disk, you'll still need to extend the partition, which can be done with a
variety of tools.

Good luck, and let us know how things go.

Thanks,
Sean Flattery