[Cialug] Cable Modems

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Sun Jan 24 14:23:05 CST 2016

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016, Scott Prader wrote:

> If I wanted to be sure of the conversation between the cable modem and my
> linux system was about, I would employ tcpdump in the following fashion,
> assuming that eth0 is the ethernet device connected to the cable modem:
>
> $ sudo tcpdump -vv -i eth0
>
> This should yield some clue as to what's going on.  I'd try it with both
> modems to see what the difference is.

Interesting, .. continuous ARP traffic:

14:18:22.846669 ARP, Ethernet (len 6), IPv4 (len 4), Request who-has
71-14-186-212.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com tell
71-14-176-1.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com, length 46

Might the ARP configuration be different between the laptop (w/Network
Manager) and the firewall system (static configuration)?

	TFTR!

	Lee