[Cialug] logrotation help for RHEL 6

Kelly Slaugh kelly at visionary.com
Tue Jan 27 09:51:24 CST 2015

Hello Everyone,

I've been working on troubleshooting why a particular config file will not rotate daily as I've set the config file to do.  Here is my config file details minus actual path.

/path/to/directory/logs/*log {
        daily
        missingok
        rotate 32
        notifempty
        size 512M
        compress
        delaycompress
        create 644 apache apache
        sharedscripts
        postrotate
                /sbin/service httpd reload > /dev/null 2>/dev/null || true
                /sbin/service nginx reload > /dev/null 2>/dev/null || true
        endscript
}

I'm having to reload nginx as well has apache because the logs that are stored are apache and nginx logs.  And as we know apache and nginx will not start using the logs unless they are reloaded.  The config file is stored in the /etc/logrotate.d/ directory.  Everything works on the weekly rotation set up in the /etc/logrotate.conf file.  However, from my research and knowledge isn't logrotate supposed to rotate the files based off the config file settings?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Kelly S.