[Cialug] Monitoring?

Pixie pix at kepibu.org
Sun Jan 25 20:57:10 CST 2015

On 2015.01.25 13:46, Todd Walton wrote:
> I've been looking into monitoring tools and I'm starting to get two
> impressions:
>
> 1) Nagios is really the only thing out there. Other tools are just
> knock-offs.
> 2) Nagios really really sucks.
>
> Is that pretty much the state of things?

$WORKPLACE uses nagios, and I'm very glad to not have to deal with it
except for getting the report e-mails, which tend to be terrible.
Hoping at some point to try out the ELK stack for pretty graphs, now
that we're using elasticsearch for other things.

I've been happily using monit and munin for years on my own server, but
my needs are simple (I wanted pretty graphs, which munin gives me; monit
gives me nice simple monitoring of basic things like "is apache actually
running").  I can easily imagine munin would scale poorly (munin spends
7 seconds processing every 5 minutes, it's not hard to imagine the
linear increase in time if it was monitoring >1 machine).