[Cialug] SSD in a DIMM

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Tue Jan 6 01:30:55 CST 2015

On Jan 5, 2015, at 8:42 PM, Matt <matt at itwannabe.com> wrote:

> I wouldn't replace all my memory with these SSD DIMMs unless I was only using the box as a NAS.

You wouldn’t do it even then — it would take a week to boot.

They claim 150 µs read latency and their 4kB-read IOPS number comes out to more than 7µs latency. DDR3-SDRAM has a worst-case latency of around 0.02 µs and even RAM from 25 years ago has worst-case latency around 0.1 µs.

Getting SATA out of the chain is a great plan for making storage faster, and there are likely applications where DDR3 would be preferable to PCIe as a storage interface. But current SSD technology is just not in the same category as RAM no matter what interface you slap on it.

	Zach