[Cialug] SSD in a DIMM

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Jan 5 18:54:22 CST 2015

Maybe the goal is to be able to address storage in the same way you address
RAM. For example, if you had a 512GB SSD and 16GB of RAM it would appear as
if you had 528GB of RAM. No different than if you have a really huge swap
file. Then, you don't have to worry about storing to disk, you just access
your storage from memory.

For example, memcached. Also, the memory would be nonvolatile I guess.

Presumably, the OS knows which memory is fastest and optimizes allocation
based on that.

Pure conjecture, I really just looked at the headlines and the pictures. :-)

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 4:50 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.sandisk.com/enterprise/ulltradimm-ssd/
>
> Yeah, okay, wouldn't mind one of those...  Maybe if I save my pennies for a
> while.  Like, years.  =)
>
> --
> Todd

Matthew Nuzum