[Cialug] SSD in a DIMM

Matt matt at itwannabe.com
Mon Jan 5 22:42:35 CST 2015

I could see using it in my desktop just to take advantage of its quad-channel DDR3 memory bus for a 4 x 600-800MB/s storage array.  However, I would still want to use standard DDR3 memory for normal RAMS purposes.  RAM is at least ten times as fast as these SSD DIMMs are... probably even more than that.

If there was a way of knowing which DIMMs were addressed as regular DDR3 and which are non-volatile and if the OS could utilize the different types intelligently, this could be really useful.  Things like fast virtual/physical machine hibernation, immediate boot/reboot-to-clean-image (an image that didn't actually have to boot, even, since it could be saved right after a successful boot), and retention of important data that is being processed, but hasn't yet been saved.  It would also be a great way to build a NAS box that could utilize any storage interface, including software RAID, while still offering write cache protection.

I wouldn't replace all my memory with these SSD DIMMs unless I was only using the box as a NAS.

-- Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my iPod Touch 5G