[Cialug] Ubuntu Installation Problems

Todd Pierce toddcpierce at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 11:22:01 CDT 2014

Crew,

I'm actually being on topic this time.  The deal is that I have to install
Ubuntu server on my client's machine before Monday.  I'm running into
problems.

It's a Gateway GT5428, which I assume is a 32 bit machine.  It appears the
drive is SCSI.

Version 14 of Ubuntu seems to be the only one that recognizes the ethernet
hardware.

Here's the problem:

First of all, no versions of Ubuntu seem to manage to install GRUB, but 14
managed to put LILO on.  The entire installation procedure goes fine but
then when I boot I end up with this "Gave up waiting for root device" error
since "/dev/sdg1" doesn't exist.

Now, I'll be researching this, but if you guys have any tips, I'm all
ears.  I really don't understand why Linux doesn't take to this machine
well.

Sincerely,

-Todd