[Cialug] Ubuntu Installation Problems

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Sat Oct 11 12:07:43 CDT 2014

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014, Todd Pierce wrote:

> Crew,
>
> I'm actually being on topic this time.  The deal is that I have to install
> Ubuntu server on my client's machine before Monday.  I'm running into
> problems.
>
> It's a Gateway GT5428, which I assume is a 32 bit machine.  It appears the
> drive is SCSI.

Pentium? Celeron? Core2Duo? Trying to put a machine like that back into
service is asking for trouble, ..the best solution would be to upgrade the
hardware (and much less costly when considering your time investment).

If you really must, you're much better off starting with Debian - the
32-bit versions are much more stable than Ubuntu current.

> Version 14 of Ubuntu seems to be the only one that recognizes the ethernet
> hardware.

Grab another ethernet card off the shelf, .. been there, done that; the
NIC is the simplest fix.

> First of all, no versions of Ubuntu seem to manage to install GRUB, but 14
> managed to put LILO on.  The entire installation procedure goes fine but
> then when I boot I end up with this "Gave up waiting for root device" error
> since "/dev/sdg1" doesn't exist.

Try a SystemRescue disk and see exactly what the kernel detects? I am
suspicious of /dev/sdg, ..

	HTH,

	Lee