[Cialug] Hostname issue

Josh More jmore at starmind.org
Tue Nov 25 11:07:11 CST 2014

Yeah, a lot of mail servers have taken to using the following logic.
I don't think it's in any of the RFC's (but the RFC's for SMTP are
such a mess that I stopped reading them years ago).

* Check reverse DNS against forward DNS for a match
* Open an SMTP session to the originating server to check its
advertised hostname
* Look at the TXT record for the domain to see if SPF allows the sender
* Look at the MX record for the domain to see if the sending IP is allowed
* Check the various blacklists
* Check the IP WHOIS to see if it comes from a residential block of
IPs  (This one *sucks* given IP block re-use.)
* Check the GEOIP list to see if the email is coming from a blocked
country (also a problem with IP block re-use.)

If any of the checks fail, sometimes the email is rejected, sometimes
it's greylisted, sometimes it's allowed.

That's why I don't run my own mail server anymore.

-Josh