[Cialug] Hostname issue

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Tue Nov 25 11:01:16 CST 2014

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014, Josh More wrote:

> $ dig barracuda.gilstermarylee.com MX
>
> On my system, this shows no DNS entry for barracuda.gilstermarylee.com
>
> The fallback SMTP host (A record) points to 75.149.203.77

That appears to be the A record for the Barracuda:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
barracuda.gilstermarylee.com. 6964 IN	A	75.149.203.77

I agree that the DNS is totally borked, .. *especially* if they want to
use the Barracuda hostname externally.

So, is it typical MTA practice to report "unknown" in the case of
mismatched forward or forward/reverse? If so, that is an important clue
that I have not seen anywhere in the docs before.

	Thanks!!

	Lee