[Cialug] Mail servers (was: Hostname issue)

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Nov 25 19:18:03 CST 2014

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 11:07 AM, Josh More <jmore at starmind.org> wrote:

> If any of the checks fail, sometimes the email is rejected, sometimes
> it's greylisted, sometimes it's allowed.
>
> That's why I don't run my own mail server anymore.
>
> -Josh

I too gave up running my own mail server, using Google Apps for Domains to
receive and Sendgrid to send (though looking into Mandrill).

I've often thought about ways to detangle myself from Google, simply on the
basis that I rely so much on this one vendor.

However, the value that Google Apps provides is tough to beat. Being able
to use email and a shared calendar on my computer, tablet and phone, as
well as a nice web GUI is great.

Any suggestions for alternatives? There are hosted Exchange solutions which
are similar in price and feature, but I just can't stomach the idea of
using Exchange.

I've considered going back to hosting my own email and calendar, but even
that is fraught with problems deeper than server maintenance. (for example,
finding a stack that has imap, smtp and shared calendar that runs on a
modest server)
--
Matthew Nuzum