[Cialug] Bitcoin mining

Lee Henderson leemhenderson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 11:14:58 CST 2014

As I haven't purchased or researched new miners in months (that might as
well be years in the Bitocin world) I won't give any recommendations on
what to buy.Though even a 1 TH/s miner would yield little profitability
under current conditions. The difficulty is simply too high, the BTC price
is too low and power costs catch up quick.

Here is the most realistic calculator I've personally used.
https://tradeblock.com/mining/

 That being said, when I was still mining, it was for long term investment
as apposed to quick profit. If your goal is research, potential investment
or simply the experience of mining. Then by all means invest in a miner.
The reality is, unless you have extremely cheap or free electricity then
this is not the time to start mining for profit. The best option right now
is to buy Bitcoin and try your hand at trading for profit.

To answer the question about re-purposing Bitcoin miners. They do only one
thing and do it well. Process chained blocks of SHA-256 hashes. So they
could indeed be re-purposed, but likely only for alternative
crypto-currencies.

Lee