[Cialug] Virtualbox Newbie

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Fri May 17 14:37:31 CDT 2013

It sounds like you are using VirtualBox to do a lot more than i do,
which is probably why i've not seen many issues. My usage of it is
pretty basic. At work i run a Windows guest so i can run one app that is
not available otherwise (there's always one...). And on my OS X laptop i
run a Linux guest when i need to work remotely. In either case, i don't
need any command line tools and am only running one guest at a time. And
i'm not using guests as servers.

For server virtualization, at work we use Citrix XenServer. At home i
don't do server virtualization (though i do rent a Linode, which also
uses XenServer). XenServer works pretty well, though we sometimes have
issues with Windows guests during Xen upgrades.

On 2013-05-17 at 13:56:23, L. V. Lammert wrote:
>On Fri, 17 May 2013, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
>> I'm curious what issues you've seen when upgrading? I've used
>> VirtualBox as my desktop virtualization through several upgrades
>> without any real issues.
>
>With vboxtool & phpvirtualbox installed, last time we upgraded our
>test server it took almost a day to work through all of the issues
>generated (about 18 months ago). Since then, we have avoided any
>updates and do not update any other machines in the field for that
>reason.
>
>> I do occasionally use the command line tools, but primarily use
>> the GUI.
>
>If that's all you are using, you're probably OK, but you are missing
>out on some the better tools and functionality (a la autostart).
__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 112, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu