[Cialug] Virtualbox Newbie

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Fri May 17 14:15:25 CDT 2013

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 1:56 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 17 May 2013, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
>
> > I'm curious what issues you've seen when upgrading? I've used VirtualBox
> > as my desktop virtualization through several upgrades without any real
> > issues.
> >
> With vboxtool & phpvirtualbox installed, last time we upgraded our test
> server it took almost a day to work through all of the issues generated
> (about 18 months ago). Since then, we have avoided any updates and do not
> update any other machines in the field for that reason.
>
> > I do occasionally use the command line tools, but primarily use
> > the GUI.
> >
> If that's all you are using, you're probably OK, but you are missing out
> on some the better tools and functionality (a la autostart)

In addition, I have had almost no trouble with my Mac host - the biggest
problems have been with OpenSUSE host (and guest) which do not have the
required development tools & source initially installed (later Ubuntu also
does not have them installed). Once we got those requirements documented,
we just have to install those requirements in new installations (host &
guest). And also have to manually install new source modules, since a
kernel update does not update kernel source. And, some of the updates have
to be done from the GUI (unless we put a lot more into interpreting the CLI
instructions).

--Don Ellis