[Cialug] network solutions

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Thu Jul 18 10:47:43 CDT 2013

On 2013-07-17 at 23:43:24, Pixie wrote:
>I strongly prefer to keep DNS provider and Registrar separate

I definitely agree. I use my registrar purely as a registrar. They offer
DNS and e-mail hosting (maybe even some web space, i don't remember) but
i don't use those. It is easy enough to host my own.

>My DNS is handled by Linode's DNS servers, informed by a hidden master

That's also the direction i'm moving towards. I have 1 Linode right now
that does web and secondary DNS. I still run my primary DNS at home, but
as soon as i get around to spinning up another Linode, then i'll have
public DNS completely outside. I'll keep my master at home, but hide it
you've suggested.

Just curious, which DNS software have you settled on for your public
servers? I'm still using Bind, but it seems like overkill for such a
task.

__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 112, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu