[Cialug] network solutions

Pixie pix at kepibu.org
Wed Jul 17 23:43:24 CDT 2013

On 2013.07.17 08:51, Dave Hala wrote:
> I see we are having issues with DNS lookups at Network Solutions. (again)
>  Anyone using a registrar/dns provider other than 1n1 or Godaddy?

I strongly prefer to keep DNS provider and Registrar separate--and a
client whose single-source provider of domain registration, DNS, e-mail,
and website decided to discontinue service with no warning (and whose
idea of a site backup is the Internet Archive) confirmed my discomfort
with letting any one company handle everything.

For Registrar I use Name.com and Namecheap.com.  Namecheap is okay,
though I can't speak for their DNS offering.  Absolutely stay away from
Name.com's DNS[1].  Actually, given their recent security gaffe[2],
probably just stay away from them entirely.

My DNS is handled by Linode's DNS servers, informed by a hidden master
that I run (all the benefits of running my own server, none of the
headaches!).  Definitely my favorite way to manage DNS.

[1] http://nathanhammond.com/namedotcom-another-unscrupulous-registrar
[2] http://www.name.com/blog/general/2013/05/we-got-hacked/