[Cialug] WiFi at 1000'

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Wed Aug 7 14:02:17 CDT 2013

On Wed, 7 Aug 2013, Paul Gray wrote:

> On 08/07/2013 01:15 PM, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> > Need to connect two buildings, .. and would like to use small directional
> > antennas to maximize signal strength and minimize the 'ugly' factor.
> >
> > Recommendations?
>
> Ubiquity products:
>  http://www.ubnt.com/
>
> Specifically, check out the nanostation loco with a small form factor
> and 10Km range:
>
> http://www.ubnt.com/nanostationloco

Tried three of them on a project a few years ago, .. we couldn't get 1000'
with them, much less multi-kilometer. The path was line-of-sight, but the
ground rose between the two buildings and the 'sight' was only a few feet
above the ground over the 'hump'. The best speed I could get on the link
was about 500Kbps, so we abandonded them - the customer decided not to do
it.

	Lee