[Cialug] Last night's excitement when Reddit melted our server

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Apr 19 14:14:38 CDT 2013

We were chatting on IRC about my exciting night last night. A site I help out got mentioned on Reddit and couldn't handle the load. I thought I should outline the steps I took, so here they are:

http://www.bearfruit.org/2013/04/19/reddit-is-melting-our-server-heres-what-we-did-nginx-apache-django-and-mysql/

The takeaway is that, for best results, more static is more good. :-)

Hindsight is alway 20/20, but if you have any insight you'd like to share, I'd love to hear it. Feel free to either reply here or on the post if you think all of the web would like to read it.

--
Matthew Nuzum