[Cialug] POP mail server mal-function

Pixie pix at kepibu.org
Wed Sep 5 23:12:00 CDT 2012

On 2012.09.05 22:39, Rob Miller wrote:
> multiple devices
> POP server
> the e-mail service [...] keep[s] a copy of each message

Switch to IMAP.

POP is largely intended for single-client download-and-delete operation.
  Multiple clients and messages-on-server are not use-cases it handles
particularly well.

If I had to guess--and bear in mind this is very much a guess--, I'd say
the device is purging old messages off itself, and then, when it fetches
messages, because POP sends a listing of /all/ messages rather than
new-messages-since-last-fetch, the device considers as new the messages
it had just purged from itself.  Boom!  Month-old "new" mail.

IMAP, on the other hand, is meant for that sort of thing.