[Cialug] POP mail server mal-function

Rob Miller rob at dotcomservices.com
Wed Sep 5 22:39:48 CDT 2012

My wife is the designer and web-matron for a janitorial supply site -
cleaningsupplyplace.com

Shameless "plug" - if you need cleaning supplies or breakroom goodies,
please register ... the site is open to anyone ... even for your home.

The site is hosted at Via Verio.  Yesterday and today, the e-commerce
manager has been receiving e-mail that's a duplicate of a message sent a
month ago. This has happened multiple times over the past 48 hours and
caused the manager a lot of confusion and significant doubt about the
hosting and e-mail services.  I talked to our tech support at Via Vero and
he said that having multiple devices, not in sync with each other, taking
copies of the e-mail messages from the POP server can cause the POP server
to freak out and resend messages that are stored on the server.  We did set
up the e-mail service to keep a copy of each message, in case we'd ever
need to check a timestamp or order number or ...

I don't want my wife to pass along the tech support's explanation because
the client / manager will interpret it like this:  "your crackberry caused
this" ... so, if there is any solid technical explanation, we'd appreciate
it ... any suggestions that she could make back to Via Verio to prevent
this from happening in the future would be appreciated ... any suggestions
for "more reliable" hosting and e-mail would be appreciated ... any more
linked-in link-ups would be ...

Contact me directly at rob at dotcomservices.com if you need more info ...

Love the LUG.  Thanks.