[Cialug] laptop suggestions

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Thu Oct 4 13:33:12 CDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 12:19:23PM -0500, Matt Stanton wrote:
> Of course, you can get a netbook for much cheaper that one of these
> tablets + the keyboard dock, but you get something that comes with a lot
> of media goodies that might make it worth it to you over a netbook that
> may not be able to play HD media.

One could also use ffmpeg to convert videos down to a smaller size, eg,
taking hd1080 down to hd480.  I'm typing right now on a $100 surplus
laptop that plays hd480 flawlessly.

If someone came up to me on the street (and I didn't think they were
crazy) and offered me $250 to convert videos occasionally with ffmpeg, I
would jump at the opportunity.

Nicolai