[Cialug] Nagios check_nt

Cory Meyer cory.meyer at gmail.com
Wed May 9 13:16:25 CDT 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> At 01:38 PM 4/25/2012, you wrote:
>
>> I've got quite a few Windows, Linux, and Solaris servers that are all
>> being
>> monitored through the Check-MK agent.  The rest of the hosts are Cisco
>> routers/switches, UPS, and NetApp filers all being monitored via SNMP.
>>

> Hi Corey,
>
> Been testing some basic Nagios plugin functionality on a reverse ssh link,
> .. have check_disk working, but I cannot find a check_proc that will
> actually parse for a given process name - don't suppose you have a version
> that works, or have successfully built one in the Cygwin environment? [It
> is a known problem that check_proc will not build, ..]

Lee,
Running standard Nagios checks via Cygwin sounds painful.  Have you tried
Check-MK yet? OMD makes this pretty simple and you'll be wondering why you
didn't go this route earlier.  Granted the reverse ssh tunnel w/Cygwin may
be non-standard but the rest is easy w/Check-MK.  With Check-MK I'm not
seeing any reason as to why you'd want to even mess with check_proc.   With
Check-MK's ps and ps.perf checks you can setup regular expressions to match
processes to your liking.   Ps.Perf triggers the performance monitoring and
will track total Processes, Memory Usage per Process, and CPU usage.  On
top of that all of this is configured server side with most of the
configuration done via a web interface.

-Cory