[Cialug] resolv.conf.tail

Jerry Stutte jfstut at charter.net
Thu Mar 29 09:55:49 CDT 2012

On 03/29/2012 08:38 AM, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> Trying to set a persistant search domain [that will survive rewriting
> resolv.conf by the network manager], but it seems that resolv.conf.tail is
> not applied normally, nor is there any mention in the man pages or
> searches.
>
> Is anyone aware of a way to get 11.10 to parse it, oris use of
> resolv.conf.tail a feature of other distros? Is there another way to
> specify a search domain?
>
> 	TIA,
>
> 	Lee

Lee,

resolv.conf

these days is only populated  on boot up after reading info from the
following files (see below).

I currently  do not have a copy of Ubuntu installed currently.

Most Distro right now are using

ifcfg files to store information for various network connections

search domain, dns, etc etc

in Fedora it can be found in

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.

in OpenSUSE

/etc/sysconfi/network

placing your search domain here will allow dns & search domain
information to persist.

Jerry