[Cialug] MythTV

murraymckee at wellsfargo.com murraymckee at wellsfargo.com
Tue Jun 19 11:58:21 CDT 2012

My VCR is dying, it will no longer record to the DVD drive.  My old analog TV is dying, for some scenes with large areas of even color it scrolls like the vertical hold was off, except there is no vertical hold knob on the TV.

I'm considering putting together a MythTV and computer monitor to replace them.  I live out in the country so I can't get DSL or Cable and I haven't yet found anything on satellite that I want to pay for.

Can MythTV be used just for over the air reception?

Although I am at the very top of a hill and my antenna is in the attic, looking out the window, and can see the Alleman towers in the winter when the leaves are off the trees we are about 30 miles from them and using the DTV boxes that we purchase, on the edge of the digital cliff.  Channel 13 reception is spotty at best. 5, 8, and 11 are OK, most of the time.

Do the receiver cards inserted into the PC get any better reception than the DTV boxes?

Murray R. McKee

Operating Systems Analyst
Mainframe/Midrange Services

Wells Fargo Compute Platform Services  |  800 Walnut Street  |  Des Moines, IA 50309-3605
MAC N0001-037
Tel 515-557-6127 |  Cell 515-343-6630 |  Fax 515-557-6046 | Text pager: 5153436630 at vtext.com

MurrayMcKee at WellsFargo.com