[Cialug] MythTV

jrnosee jrnosee at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 16:47:06 CDT 2012

I haven't tried MythTV in a while (opting for Windows Media Center and it's
CableCARD compatability + XBOX as extender support) so I can't speak to
that.  Hopefully someone can fill in any gaps for MythTV if I leave any.

A computer can certainly be used to tune over the air (OTA) channels
provided you have an ATSC tuner. (if you need one, let me know...I have a
spare I could probably sell, but you'll need to check on it's MythTV/Linux
compatability.)  If the one I have doesn't interest you or you want a
sure-thing I REALLY recommend the HDHomerun devices from Silicondust.  I
*just* got my prime (cablecard) one set up and I've had the ATSC/QAM - 2
tuner one for quite a while now.  It's been a great device.  In fact I'll
probably be selling my ATSC version eventually once I'm certain the prime
(and it's problematic cablecard) is going to keep on working as it finally
is now.

I'm not sure if or why a tuner card would get any better reception.  I've
been using mine with cable so I can't answer that.  You might be able to
add a signal booster, but I'm not sure what affect it will have on
ATSC/Digital.  I haven't used one since I just had Analog broadcast.  It
may just well add noise on the line.

Hope that helps at least a little.  My last $.02... I'd still suggest a TV
instead of just a monitor.  Pretty much every flat-pannel TV on the market
today will take PC input (VGA or HDMI [which you can convert DVI to]).  But
if you have a TV it can tune on it's own so if you're PC's bungled up or
needs to be unplugged due to a storm, but you still want to monitor the
storm on TV/emergency broadcast you still have something to work with.

Good Luck!