[Cialug] HTML Editors

Todd E Thomas todd_dsm at ssiresults.com
Tue Jan 31 15:19:42 CST 2012

Chris, I've been going down this path myself recently. I've been looking
for a PHP IDE (integrated development environment); here's what I've found:

HTML seems to be ubiquitous among all languages, select your language,
java, php, etc. and then start looking for tools. HTML will be included
in all of them.

Moving forward on the assumption of foss-based direction for learning
purposes, I'm guessing php; this is all I've researched in any case. I
also assume some basic wants, like not getting carpal-tunnel (auto-code
completion), etc.

1) If you have the money, buy a mac and dreamweaver - period. It's
missing nothing.

2) There are a few Linux packages, free and open :)

3) All of the Linux packages are good but not great. They all seem to be
missing one thing. Netbeans, for example is missing HTML5 tag support
(so far), while Bluefish isn't great with CSS; eclipse is a time suck
that only ends in frustration but awesome with code merging, etc.

4) I've looked for IDE suggestions in the freenode/php irc channel. They
didn't want to talk about what they did like. They did give over that
Zend and Active State, for example, does auto-completion that fills in
non-standardized code, meaning it includes their proprietary php
extensions in some of the auto-completion. For me, these 2 companies
fell out of the running.

5) Of the available packages, I like these in order:
    a) Bluefish
    b) Netbeans
    c) Geany

6) Strangely, the one I settled on was vim. There is a vim extension
called snipmate <https://github.com/MarcWeber/snipmate.vim>, which does
auto-code completion - very nice. And, it's easily installed with the
vim-addon-manager <https://github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-manager>.
Here,you're lacking a css color picker but you feel like your home.

Vim has all the power you want. I thought I knew vim until I saw this
guy's advanced vim <http://www.derekwyatt.org/vim/vim-tutorial-videos/>
stuff.

After that, I used MySQL workbench till I got my feet under me. Now it's
all vim and .sql scripting, and life is good. I hope this helps.

Todd E Thomas
C: 515.778.6913
"It's a frail music knits the world together."
-Robert Dana