[Cialug] Simple Setup - FreeBSD as Router

jim kraai jimgkraai at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 13:54:00 CDT 2012

It's working!  Well, something's working.

It looks like tcpdump/pcap and/or wireshark couldn't see the traffic
on the wire, so I went back to making the freeBSD box into a
bridge/router.

here are the very generic/simple commands used to set it up
# ifconfig bridge create
# ifconfig bridge0 addm re0 addm em0 up
# ifconfig bridge0 inet 192.168.xxx.81/24
# ifconfig re0 up
# ifconfig em0 up

em0 goes to the rest of the network
re0 goes to the little wireless router

I'm using tcpdump to capture the traffic, scp'ing it to my windows
desktop where I can analyze the traffic using wireshark.

Now I just need to learn how to use wireshark to work towards a graph
of request/response timing.

Thanks for helping!

--jim