[Cialug] Dumb. Dumb Security.

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 22:40:27 CDT 2012

You know... tell me if this makes sense.  I signed up for what looks
like a useful site: FutureAdvisor.com.  I figured I'd try it out.  It
tracks my investments (particularly my 401k) and gives me advice on
what to change or do, etc.

So I start getting emails every week or two that say "hey, you're
investments are up to $xx,xxx!".  So I email them and say "I don't
want you to send personal numbers like that through unsecured email".
The response I got was a pointer to where I could change my email
preferences.  Said email preferences are to either get emails with
personal money info in them, or get no emails at all.

They may as well not secure their web pages.  What's the point of the
site being HTTPS when they send the same info by email?  The only
thing that's on the web page but not in the emails is specific advice
like "we recommend x% exposure to domestic markets" and crap like
that.  Why would they go to the pains of securing *that*, but not my
personal money info???

Unsubscribe.  No more FutureAdvisor.

Sorry.  It's not Linux, but I knew you guys would understand.

--
Todd