[Cialug] Simple Setup - FreeBSD as Router

jim kraai jimgkraai at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 08:13:49 CDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Zachary Kotlarek <zach at kotlarek.com> wrote:

> You could just capture all the data and analyze it out-of-band. pcap has reliable millisecond time resolution (pcap-ng has nanosecond resolution on platforms that support it), you can filter to capture only relevant traffic, and there are lots of tools to help with the analysis.
>
>         Zach

Zach lives! (Miki says, "Hi!")

You raise an excellent point about re-packaging packets, and you and
Nate have helped me to re-think what I actually need in terms of
timing precision.

pcap, huh?  I like it.  I feel foolish because I've used tcpdump and
wireshark for other projects.  The freeBSD's GA311 NIC supports
promiscuous mode.  I'll figure out the rest the hard way.

Thanks,

--jim