[Cialug] Simple Setup - FreeBSD as Router

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Thu Aug 16 17:52:05 CDT 2012

On Aug 16, 2012, at 2:59 PM, jim kraai wrote:

> If the proxy were on the freeBSD box with that box was acting as a
> router, I'd trust the timing data much better.  At that point, could I
> get the same logging capability from Squid acting as a transparent
> proxy while not actually caching?

I would expect so, assuming it provides the level of timing precision you're interested in, and you don't mind the manipulation it does (adding the proxy header, potentially re-framing the stream into different packets, etc.).

>> What I'm trying to do with a dedicated freeBSD router is
>> - log timing results for a web service to track down slow responses, etc.
>> - log response content to look for things that aren't being compressed, could be streamlined, etc.

You could just capture all the data and analyze it out-of-band. pcap has reliable millisecond time resolution (pcap-ng has nanosecond resolution on platforms that support it), you can filter to capture only relevant traffic, and there are lots of tools to help with the analysis.

	Zach