[Cialug] Simple Setup - FreeBSD as Router

jim kraai jimgkraai at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 16:59:48 CDT 2012

Nate,

But to use Burp, I'd have to get over my deep-seated hatred of Java.
I don't think I've ever installed Java on any *NIX or *nix-like box.

Seriously, I could go the proxy route, but ...

An issue is how to get the wireless devices' traffic and have good
timing information.

If the proxy were on the freeBSD box and that box was not acting as a
router, I wouldn't trust the timing data if the traffic had to go both
ways through the netgear router and the freeBSD box's NIC.

If the proxy were on the same windows box the desktop browsers are
running on, I wouldn't trust the timing data due to unpredictable CPU
load influencing when/how quickly the requests were made.

If the proxy were on the freeBSD box with that box was acting as a
router, I'd trust the timing data much better.  At that point, could I
get the same logging capability from Squid acting as a transparent
proxy while not actually caching?

--jim

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:
> You may want to look at a proxy of some kind instead.  Perhaps burp for instance, if you are studying mostly http transactions.
>
> -Nate
>

> Nathan C. Smith
> McKee, Voorhees & Sease, P.L.C. | 515-288-3667  |  nathan.smith at ipmvs.com

--jim