[Cialug] File download issue

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Sat Sep 24 09:02:40 CDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 2:43 AM, Don Ellis <don.ellis at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been repeatedly warned against getting VB from a software center;
> I've been told to get it directly from Oracle instead. Perhaps because the
> software centers are much slower to be updated. I don't remember what
> troubles I encountered, but I seem to have much better results when getting
> it from Oracle.

This is true for some things, VB among them. I hear there is hope of the
situation improving in upcoming versions, but the way it works is this: When
a version of Ubuntu is released they don't update the software except for
security or critical bugs. This is a feature for some organizations (who
like stability) but in many cases it can be a hassle.

For this reason I don't install packaged versions of tools such as VB, ruby
gems (including rails), cutting edge python modules (including Django) and
web apps. Even my team of developers at Canonical is moving away from using
packaged versions of some modules for our internal apps. (We do Django
development and deploy to 10.04 LTS, no way I want to still target Django
1.1.2)

--
Matthew Nuzum