[Cialug] Mailing List Setup

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 05:43:35 CST 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Nicolai <nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 05:49:49AM -0600, Todd Walton wrote:
>> I believe this is a feature of the mailing list itself.  Gmail, for
>> example, sends my email to CIALUG whether I hit Reply or Reply All.
>
> There used to be a lot of debate/discussion about mailing list software
> hijacking the Reply-To header.  There were good points for each
> position, but in the end, the lowest common denominator won by sheer
> numbers.

Maybe they were searching for a "commonplace", to use Josh's word.

I set up a mailling list for the first time ever last night.  1) I'm
surprised I've gotten this far in life without having done it, and 2)
Some of these options in Mailman are confusing.  For example, if you
set "Hide the sender of a message, replacing it with the list
address", but set "Where are replies to list messages directed?" to
poster, how's that going to work?  I have some experimenting to do.

--
Todd