[Cialug] Social networking for kids

Jeff Davis me at digitaljeff.com
Fri Jul 29 14:48:32 CDT 2011

Keep in mind that you will always fight the battle that Will mentioned
"You can't stop kids from doing whatever they want to do,"
if you're just putting technical hurdles in the way.  I take
reasonable measures to prevent accidents and also
do reasonable monitoring of activity.  But my primary way of handling
this is to explain to them why facebook isn't for
kids, or why a 9 yr old doesn't have/need a cell phone and when
facebook/cell phone/email is appropriate.  Then comes
a test drive/training period that involves more heavy monitoring.  As
situations arise discuss what went wrong, why, and how to handle it.
As they get older it helps them to determine on their own what is
acceptable, and how to handle new situations when when
mom/dad aren't around.    I generally refer to this process as
"parenting."    ;-)

-Jeff Davis