[Cialug] Wordpress Performance

Eric Junker eric at eric.nu
Tue Jul 19 11:42:49 CDT 2011

On 7/19/2011 10:52 AM, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Eric Junker <eric at eric.nu
> <mailto:eric at eric.nu>> wrote:
>     As for a PHP opcode cache I'd go with APC. I believe PHP6 will ship
>     with APC by default.
>

> Nice tip, I'll start using that myself.
>
> I was basing the opcode cache recommendation on my test that showed all
> of his sites were slow, one was slower. 6 seconds for one page view was
> the fastest for a simple GET of the page with no resources. Should be 1
> second or less. I think APC can help with that.

After checking, it looks like PHP6 has been "cancelled" and that APC
will be included with PHP 5.4. PHP6 was to have built-in support for
Unicode strings but apparently the complexity of the project got out of
control and so they cancelled it.

I wanted to use APC for the sites I work on but we found that with our
hardware there wasn't a big enough decrease in response times to make it
worth adding APC as another dependency. Of course, depending on your
hardware and sites that you are running your mileage may vary.

Eric