[Cialug] Odd intermittent file attachment issue

Mark Hesseltine markhesseltine at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 15:40:07 CDT 2011

I'm wondering if other members have encountered something like this.

Server is Debian Lenny. Outgoing through postfix. Local IMAP being
handled by dovecot.
Client is Windows XP desktop running Thunderbird 3.1.

A large majority of the time, my user can preview an email message,
click the "forward" button, and forward the message inline to someone
else with no problem.

However, there appear to be certain users he receives messages from
that, if he clicks "forward", the basic header to the message is
composed inline, but the message is not. If he uses "reply" or "reply
all" or "edit as new", all of those show up in a compose window with
the message inline.

I can't imagine there's a flag that can be set on an outgoing message
that prevents it from being forwarded. Is there some common element I
should be looking for in the message headers? Is there some goofy
aspect to Thunderbird or Dovecot? I'm scratching my head as to why
this works most of the time and I can't find anything obvious for the
messages that won't forward, and most bug searching I've done leads to
clients having problems forwarding any message, not just occasional
ones.

--
Mark Hesseltine
mailto:markhesseltine at gmail.com