[Cialug] Wordpress Performance

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Jul 19 10:52:06 CDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Eric Junker <eric at eric.nu> wrote:

> On 7/19/2011 10:06 AM, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
>
>> Why wouldn't you use an opcode cache? It costs nothing and the
>> performance improvements can be huge.
>>

> I'm not saying to not use an opcode cache. I'm saying that if only 1 out of
> 6 of his WP sites are slow then there must be something different about that
> site that is causing it to be slow. I don't think this is an optimization
> problem as much as it is to figure out why that one site is slower than the
> others. Then once you know why it is slower you can use the proper technique
> to make if faster.
>
> As for a PHP opcode cache I'd go with APC. I believe PHP6 will ship with
> APC by default.

Nice tip, I'll start using that myself.

I was basing the opcode cache recommendation on my test that showed all of
his sites were slow, one was slower. 6 seconds for one page view was the
fastest for a simple GET of the page with no resources. Should be 1 second
or less. I think APC can help with that.

--
Matthew Nuzum