[Cialug] ubuntu 10.04

Dan Hockey icepuck3k at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 14:14:31 CDT 2011

I've been messing with an OpenEmbedded appliance with ubuntu in vmware player and I did a apt-get install gdm to install a very bare gnome which everything worked, but now I need to get back to the command line with no apparent way of doing so in gnome. I can't ssh into it because I mucked up the networking.
Everything Google has found requires the command line to fix.
Someone suggested ctl+alt+f1 but all that does is kicks me out of vmware and back into windows.
As a last resort I guess I could delete the vm and start over.....if so how can I install gnome and avoid making the same mistake?
-dan