[Cialug] PCI Video Cards

Michael Davis mpdavis at iastate.edu
Tue Apr 19 19:46:09 CDT 2011

I used to work over at surplus and wanted to say you are pretty unlikely to
find a video card by itself on the floor.  We kept working cards for when a
system came without a working card.

However, you might be able to get a whole box with an acceptable card for
fairly cheap, depending on what you need.

Or, if you ask one of the student workers they will most likely go back and
check if they have any laying around.  I am not familiar with the passive
backplane system you talked about, so if you brought in an old non-working
card you could just ask if they had seen anything like it. If they are
really nice like I was, they will even go look at the stacks of old servers
to pull one from.

Michael Davis
ECpE - Iowa State University
CHS Desktop Operations Staff