[Cialug] Tasks for learning shell scripting

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Wed Sep 29 08:40:54 CDT 2010

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010, Matthew Nuzum wrote:

> My original intention was to teach using a posix only shell because
> I've gotten myself into trouble when not using a modern Linux
> distribution (Solaris). Also, Debian based distros have stopped using
> bash as /bin/sh because it significantly slows down boot speed,
> instead they use dash, a posix shell that loads much quicker. (but
> they use bash for the interactive shell still)

It is not uncommon to use a simple shell for root, *especially* for use
when in single user mode (many bash implementations are not statically
linked).

For most shell work, however, the best took for the job is still bash; as
long as one realizes when it might be advisable to NOT be using bash,
there should be no a problem expecting bash availablilty.

After all, on a running system you can always start a bash instance or
have different login.

	Lee